What is Osteoarthritis (OA)
OA refers to the breakdown, or degeneration, of cartilage and fluid that cushions and lubricates the bones in your joints.
The degeneration leads your bones to begin to rub together, resulting in pain and further wear and tear. OA is a chronic progressive condition—which means that it gets worse over time.
OA can occur in any joint, but OA of the knee is the most common type, affecting more than 10 million Americans.
Symptoms of knee OA
Look for these common signs and symptoms:
- Joint soreness after overuse or inactivity
- Joint stiffness after resting or in the morning
- Pain when moving your knee
- Pain when using stairs or getting up from a chair
- Pain that prevents you from exercising your leg
- Grating or catching when moving your knee
- Joint pain that feels worse in the evening after a day’s activity
- Deterioration of coordination due to pain and stiffness
- Weakened thigh muscles
SUPARTZ FX: Provides a naturally derived lubricant to the joint that relieves knee pain.
When you have knee osteoarthritis, the hyaluronic acid (HA) in the synovial fluid in your knee joint becomes diluted and breaks down—reducing its natural properties. (1) This is associated with increased inflammatory processes that can degrade the cartilage in your knee. (1)
This inflammation causes pain receptors to begin firing during normal movement. (1) The pain tends to cause knee osteoarthritis patients to limit movement which, in turn, limits to further deterioration of joint structures and synovial fluid quality because movement is required for normal synovial activity. This process can become a vicious cycle as the disease becomes progressively worse and quality of life is severely compromised for patients.
SUPARTZ FX treats knee osteoarthritis by providing temporary replacement for the diseased synovial fluid in your knee, which is an underlying cause of your pain. (1) Unlike oral analgesics or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that affect all parts of your body, SUPARTZ FX specifically targets the osteoarthritis in your knee. (2) In addition, treatment with hyaluronic acid such as SUPARTZ FX has the largest effect size for both pain and function as compared with other non-surgical treatment options.* (3)
- Balazs EA, Denlinger JL. Viscosupplementation: a new concept in the treatment of osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol Suppl. 1993;39:3 9.
- SUPARTZ FX [package insert]. Durham, NC: Bioventus LLC; 2015.
- Bannuru RR, Schmid CH, Kent DM, Vaysbrot EE, Wong JB, McAlindon TE. Comparative effectiveness of pharmacologic
If you would like to learn more about Knee Pain and the various treatments we provide, call 262-200-8000 to schedule a consultation.
Back to top of Knee Pain